1. PHED takes up Deposit Works of other Departments to provide water supply facilities , as & when requests are made & funds provided for the purpose.
2. PHED also takes up Rural
Sanitation Programme under State Plan in which low cost latrines are provided with contribution from the beneficiaries. Much headway could not be made under the Program, mainly due to revision of guidelines by Govt. of India since 1999. Earlier to 1999 ,construction of individual household latrines was used to be taken up under the programme with 20% contribution from beneficiaries both under state & Central Plan. The program was taken up throughout the State where 20% contribution was forthcoming. The Govt. of India has revised the guidelines and launched Total Sanitation Campaign (TSC) instead, where subsidy has been reduced. However the Dept. is taking up construction of latrines for schools, community, ICDS centres wherever contribution from
beneficiaries are received. Construction of individual household latrines will be taken up under TSC programme
3. Construction of departmental buildings both non residential & residential . Non residential buildings include office buildings for various offices, stores. Go downs etc.
4. HRD & IEC activities for Sector reform District , Swajaldhara & Total Sanitation Campaign Districts for promotion and creation of health & environment awareness including training at grass root level in water supply & sanitation sector.
5. Grants in aid is provided to Meghalaya Pollution Control Board State Board for Prevention and Control of Water & Air Pollution in Meghalaya.
6. Matters relating to co-ordination of action by other Departments in execution of water supply schemes & rendering technical advice to the Shillong Municipality in the matter of improvement of existing water supply and Sanitation of Shillong